To set up a ProctorU exam or quiz follow the steps below:
Sign in to Canvas.
- Log in to your Canvas account. You must be using Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser or ProctorU review+ will not work. You must also have the ProctorU Google Chrome extension (Links to an external site.) or Firefox extension (Links to an external site.) downloaded and installed in the appropriate browser.
- Navigate to your course where you would like to set up a new or pre-existing quiz/exam for use with ProctorU review+.
Set-Up ProctorU Exam or Quiz in your Canvas Course.
- To log into the extension, select the ProctorU* link on the left-hand side of the course page.
NOTE: If you do not see the ProctorU link listed, you can enable by selecting Settings then the Navigation tab found on the horizontal menu at the top. Enable the ProctorU link by dragging it up to the active list. Be sure to scroll down and Save your settings.
- Once you select the ProctorU link from your left-hand navigation, it will log you into your ProctorU Google Chrome or Firefox extension and take you to a ProctorU dashboard displaying your exams you have set up with ProctorU.
- You will come back to this screen later if you haven't set up an exam yet.
- For now, continue following the steps below to set-up your exam(s).
- To set up an quiz/exam with ProctorU review+, select quizzes and proceed with normal exam creation.
- Select the title of the quiz/exam and then Edit.
Enable ProctorU Settings
- After you finish creating your exam in Canvas, enable ProctorU in your settings by clicking on the ProctorU toggle switch immediately under the instruction edit box,.
NOTE: If you don't see the ProctorU toggle as indicated in the image below it's because you are not logged into the ProctorU browser extension.
NOTE: After engaging the toggle switch an additional switch, auto generated password, appears. You must engage this switch which will automatically create a password for the extension to with the browser. This feature must be on for review+ to work. Never give out the auto generated password to anyone. When students begin their exam, the ProctorU browser extension will automatically log them into the exam using this password. This requires students to be logged into the extension before attempting to start the exam.
Select Exam Resources & Other Test Settings.
- Remain in "Edit" mode of your exam for this step.
- Select the "ProctorU Settings" tab available on the horizontal menu that appears once you have engaged the toggled switch. The "ProctorU Settings" tab is located on the same horizontal menu as your exam details and questions.
- The ProctorU settings are listed in a checkbox format allowing you to choose which resources you would like to allow during the exam. Simply check the boxes for the resources you would like your students to use during the exam. Prior to starting an exam, students will be notified of these allowances.
NOTE: See more details about the ProctorU Settings found in Canvas, beow this video.
- Here is a link to a video with more explanation on these steps.
ProctorU Setting , Definitions, and Features
- Restricted - Test-taker will not be able to open new tabs within their browser once the exam starts.
- Allowed - Test-taker will be permitted to open tabs within their browser once the exam starts.
Window Size Allowed
- Full Screen - The test taker's exam will be launched in full-screen mode. This prevents the test-taker from accessing things on their computer such as browser tabs, desktop Icons, etc. The only thing the test-taker will be able to see is the exam screen itself. The test-taker just needs to click (F11) to exit full-screen mode after the exam.
- Maximized - The test taker's window will remain maximized throughout the duration of the exam. This prevents the test-taker from accessing items on their desktop while taking an exam with us. The test-taker will not be able to minimize or re-size their web browser window.
- Re-sized - The test-taker will have the ability to re-size their browser window throughout the duration of the exam.
- Restricted - The test-taker will be prevented from using outside programs and applications on their computer during their exam.
- Allowed - The test-taker will be allowed to use other applications or programs on their computer during the exam.
- Average time spent on a question - Our system will analyze the average time spent on questions by test takers. We will then flag instances where there was an abnormal amount of time spent on a question during the exam.
- Average time spent on the exam - Our system will analyze the average time spent on the exam by test takers. We will then flag instances where a test-taker took an abnormal amount of time to complete their exam.
Lighting Level Each setting for Lighting Levels will accommodate a test-taker in the following environments:
- Low - If the test-taker will be testing in an environment where it is difficult to find bright enough lighting.
- Medium - This is the default setting for exams. It is the optimal setting for the majority of test-takers.
- Bright - If the test-taker will be testing in an environment where it is difficult to lower the brightness.
Sensitivity Settings Sensitivity Settings are meant to adjust the levels which we track for suspicious behavior by a test-taker. The least sensitive setting would be "0.5" and "2" would be the highest sensitivity setting. When the sensitivity is turned up, our system will create more flags in a test taker’s session review.
Save & Submit your Quiz/Exam.
- Remember to save your new settings before you exit the edit quiz/exam page.
Add your Instructor Contact Information to the Exam / Quiz.
- After you have submitted your exam or quiz, click on "ProctorU" from the left-hand navigation menu of your course. This will open up a ProctorU portal where your exam(s)/quizz(es) list will appear.
- Locate the exam or quiz from the list and click on the pencil icon on the right-hand side to edit/insert "Contact Information for Exam Issues." It is located toward the bottom of the page. You shouldn't need to edit any other information for the exam/quiz.
- Once you've added the appropriate contact information, click "Submit for review" at the bottom of the page.