Why create Folio assignments?
There are many benefits to creating a digital portfolio—with Folio assignments, it’s even easier for students to create great portfolio content. You might consider creating assignments that use Folio because:
- By using Folio, students are able to create portfolio worthy documentation and receive credit for their work simultaneously. This encourages better work, & allows students to take their work beyond the classroom in the future.
- Using Folio allows you & your students to revisit their growth over the course of the term/program. This is a great way for students to think critically about their progress, and for you to measure achievement!
How to Activate the Folio Assessment App
- In your Canvas course, go to "Settings" in the course navigation menu
- Once there, click on the "Navigation" tab on the top of the page
- In the list below, find the "Folio" option.
- Click on the three dots to the right and select "+ Enable", or click and drag it above the text line to activate it.
- Scroll down and select "Save" at the bottom of the page
How to Create a Folio Assignment
- Create a new Canvas assignment
- Edit the assignment
- Under submission type, click on the drop down menu. Select "External Tool"
- In the menu, choose “Folio Assignment App”
- Click "Save"
Once you have saved, go to the assignment page. There should be a window on the page for Portfolium. In that window that appears on the page, select "Create New Assignment" (if not already selected) & fill out the following sections:
- Title: Keep the assignment title the same as the assignment in Canvas.
- Instructions: Copy & paste all of your instructions from Canvas.
- Skills: Type in any relevant skills that your students will be demonstrating proficiency in by completing this assignment. Students can also add skills later.
- Due Date: Keep the due date the same as the assignment in Canvas.
- Category: Select a relevant category for this assignment.
- Scoring Type: There are a few different scoring types to choose from-- this is up to personal taste.
- Rubric (not available at U of U! Contact email@example.com for more information.)
- Star Rating
- Letter Grade
- Pass / Fail
- Outcomes & Badging: Outcomes & badging are not presently available at U of U! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Advanced Options
- Visibility: Ensure that you are choosing an option that’s appropriate for the types of submissions you anticipate students submitting (e.g. HIPAA/FERPA protected information should be made private)
- Grade visibility: If portfolio content is being assessed by a board, consider turning this option on so students cannot see which board member assigned which grade.
Select "Create Assignment", & you're good to go! See more tutorials & information on creating Folio assignments here.
How to Grade Folio Assignments
Grading is done via Portfolium's website. Grades are then relayed to Canvas and recorded in the gradebook. Unfortunately, Folio assignments are not able to be graded via SpeedGrader... Yet!