In order to help increase student engagement with your videos, you may want to add points within the video where it automatically stops and asks the students questions about the content. These quiz questions are not incorporated into the students grade
To create a video quiz in Canvas My Media follow the steps below.
1) Open My Media
- Select My Media from the Course Navigation.
Note: You can also access your My Media in Canvas by clicking the Account link in the Global Navigation, select the Profile link and a My Media link will be listed.
2) Select Add New
3) Select Video Quiz
- Click Video Quiz from the drop-down menu and select a video from your My Media library or upload media.
4) Click Start
5) Edit Edit Information
- Enter the information for Details, Scores, and Experience by clicking the arrow icon to expose fields under each header. These fields will allow you to:
Edit the name of the quiz.
Create a welcome message that will appear in the player prior to user starting the quiz.
Display or not display score to user after quiz is submitted.
Allow or not allow users to see correct/incorrect answers after quiz is submitted.
Allow or not allow viewers to change their answers before submitting a quiz.
Allow or not allow users to skip answering questions before progressing.
6) Click Play
- Click Play button to advance to points in the video where you would like to add a question. Click the Pause button once you reach a point where you would like to add a question. Click the "Choose A Question Type" icon for the question type you would like to add to the video.
- There are three question types that can be added:
Type 1: Multiple Choice - Video will pause and display question with multiple answer choices and only one correct answer. Learn how to create multiple choice questions in a video quiz.
Type 2: Reflection Point - Video will pause and display text. This can be used to highlight point of interest in the video. Learn how to create reflection point questions in a video quiz.
Type 3: True/False - Video will pause and display question with the choice of True or False. Learn how to create true/false questions in a video quiz.
Note: Currently ONLY Multiple Choice questions are available in Canvas. Stay tuned for when the other two will be available.
- Question hints and answer rationales can be added by clicking on the Light Bolt icon on the top right. Once you have your question complete, click Save.
7) Continue to Add Questions
- Continue to use the Play and Pause button to advance through your video and stop at points where you would like to add questions. For each question that you add, you will see a blue cube icon marker added to the timeline. You can preview your quiz by clicking the Eye icon in the bottom right corner.
8) Select Done