ADD YOUTUBE VIDEOS
The following instructions show how to import videos hosted by YouTube into MediaSpace in your MY MEDIA personal and private collection of video items.
You access the University of Utah MediaSpace (https://mediaspace.utah.edu) by logging in with your University of Utah uNID and its associated password.
After reaching the homepage for MediaSpace, use the "LOGIN" menu options located in the upper right of the web browser window.
SELECT MY MEDIA
If you select the "My Media" option, you are taken to the collection of video files you have already placed into your personal MY MEDIA repository (either using MediaSpace or the same MY MEDIA features integrated into the learning management system for the University, CANVAS).
After a few seconds, the list of your media items appears. (The actual appearance of the options and buttons may change as the layouts are modified and updated over time. The functions and features should remain the same.)
ADD YOUTUBE VIDEOS
Click the Add New button in the upper right of MY MEDIA and select the option YouTube.
After clicking the option YouTube, you are asked to agree to the Terms and Conditions associated with distributing content in MediaSpace at the University of Utah. Click the check box to agree.
The window lengthens and shows a text box where you can enter the YouTube link for the video you want. Enter the URL and click the PREVIEW button. The YouTube video appears and plays back. NOTE: Even though you entered the full URL for the YouTube video, MediaSpace will simply truncate that link to just the essential YouTube file ID information.
After clicking PREVIEW, the window also lengthens further in order to collect the Name, Description, Tags, and Privacy setting for the YouTube video.
Click the SAVE button and wait a few moments for confirmation. At that moment, another option appears next to the SAVE button and is named Go To Media.
By clicking the text Go To Media, you will see a playback window with the full, real size of the video file, including its descriptions.
There is an option named ACTIONS with which you can Edit the video or Publish the file, transferring it from your private collection of MY MEDIA into a Channel and Playlist.
Refer to other articles about MediaSpace for more information on the ACTIONS menu options.
For now, click on your login name in the upper right, and select My Media.
The list of videos in your private collection My Media now shows your YouTube video as one of the new items.
ADDITIONAL ARTICLES & TUTORIALS FOR MEDIASPACE
- MediaSpace Storage & Distribution Options
- 1. My Media - Personal Storage for Media Items
- 1a. My Media - Media Upload (Import Pre-existing Videos)
- 1b. My Media - YouTube Videos
- 2. Playlists - Create Lists and Add Media Items
- 3. Channels - Create a Channel | Publish Media Items | Privacy Settings | Subscriptions | Members
- 4. Share a Media Item - URL or Embed Code
- 5. Galleries/Categories - in UofU MediaSpace
- MediaSpace - Video Editor & Other Features
- MediaSpace - Video Recording Tools
- About the Kaltura Desktop Recorder for Screen Recording | Webcam Recording | Voice Recording
- First Time Installation of the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- Settings Overview for the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- OPTION 1: Multi-source Recordings of Presentations & Lectures with the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- OPTION 2: Screen Recording with the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- OPTION 3: WebCam Recording with the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- OPTION 4: Screen & Webcam Recording with the Kaltura Desktop Recorder
- OPTION 5: Voice Recording with the Kaltura Desktop Recorder