Make sure to schedule exams as soon as possible to avoid complications that could impact your students and Uonline Center operations.
Scheduling exams in Schedule Exams in Canvas involves the following:
- We require a two day minimum date range for each exam.
- Schedule date range allowed for students to take their exams
- Set exam time limit
- Enter passcode no longer than 8 characters involving two unrelated words
- If applicable, select materials students are allowed to use during the exam
- Attach exam as .doc, docx or .pdf and email firstname.lastname@example.org that you have attached a document.
- Instruct out of area proctors to email completed exams to you, and make sure to provide your preferred e-mail address
Students Using Proctors Outside Schedule Exams:
- Students need your permission to select a proctor outside Schedule Exams. If you give a student permission to have a proctor outside Schedule Exams, you will need to approve the proctor and send exams to the proctor, and receive completed exams from the proctor
You will attach the paper portion of exams when you schedule them.
Below are instructions for adding Canvas exam settings required for scheduling exams. If you do not have any question yet for an exam, create an exam in Canvas with settings only. If you have already finished creating and saving a Canvas exam, with or without questions, skip to Part 2.
Part 1: Add Settings in Exam
Create your exams in Canvas before you schedule them. However, if you are not yet ready to add questions to your exam, please create the exam with an exam title starting with course number and section. Make sure to enter exam settings and save the exam; you can add question later. For exam creation instructions, please read Instructure's How Do I Create a Quiz for Individual Questions? (you can create exams in Quizzes in Canvas.)
1. Login to your Canvas course.
2. Click Quizzes on the left side (you can crate an exam in Canvas Quizzes)
3. Click on the blue Quiz button on the upper right side.
4. Enter exam name.
5. Click Time limit box and enter minutes of exam.
6. If you do not want students to see exam responses or answers immediately after they take the exam, de-select Let students see their quiz responses.
- Read discussion about Quiz Response Settings for important information
7. Check Require access code.
8. Enter access code consisting of two unrelated words run together and at least one upper case letter.
- Do not give access code to your students. Proctors will enter the access code for students so they can take their exam.
9. Select available date range for taking the exam by selecting the Available from and Until dates.
- Entering the last date available to take the exam will automatically create that date as the due date when you save the exam.
10. Click the Save button or Save and Publish button near the bottom right side.
Part 2: Scheduling Exams
1. Click Schedule Exams on the left side of your Canvas course.
2. Click the Add Exam button and select Online Exam. You will be able to attach a file for the written portion of the exam.
3. If the online portion of the exam is a Canvas exam, click Select above the Import exam button and select the exam. If the online portion of the exam is found in a different website, click Create exam.
4. If you selected Import exam, scroll down attach a file of the written portion of the exam. You can either click and drag the file to Drag file here or click in the area and select the file. Make sure to click on Continue.
5. Scroll down. Under Permitted Items, select what items, if any, you allow your students to use during the exam. When you select an item, you can provide additional information,
5. If you need to enter exam notes for your students to see when they schedule their exams, scroll down to the Exam Notes heading and enter exam notes in the Notes for Students field.
6. In the Notes for Proctors field, instruct out of area proctors to e-mail the completed paper portion of the exam, and make sure to provide your preferred e-mail address.
7. Select the types of proctors you approve. Institutional Testing Centers and Testing Administer have been selected as default proctor types.
8. Do Not Select Live Online Proctoring. Live Online Proctoring using ProctorU is for fully online exams only.
9. Click Continue.
10. Review the exam schedule information and click Confirm if correct.
Exam Schedule Approval
A Uonline Center administrator will review your scheduled exam to ensure that it confirms to Uonline Center requirements and rules.