To add video to a Discussion in a Canvas course, you have three options. This article discusses OPTION 1-SELECT A VIDEO FROM MY MEDIA. The other two options have links at the end of this article.
OPTION 1-SELECT A VIDEO FROM MY MEDIA
If you already have videos in your My Media collection, you can simply select a file and it will be added in your reply to a discussion topic. (Learn more about MY MEDIA.)
BEGIN YOUR REPLY
As part of a module in a Canvas course, the instructor may have enabled a Discussion board. In that Discussion, click the REPLY button that appears either below the discussion topic or below another student’s response.
GO TO MY MEDIA
After choosing REPLY in a discussion topic, the standard Canvas content editing tool bar appears. Click on the "FILMSTRIP" icon.
- A window will open labeled with "Embed Kaltura Media" with your personal collection of videos listed for MY MEDIA.
- To the right of a video you want to add to a Discussion topic, you have two selection choices:
- Click the word SELECT and that file, in its existing size and quality, is added to your Discussion topic.
- Click the Downward Pointing Arrow next to the word SELECT and choose a different size for the video you are adding to a Discussion topic: LARGE | MEDIUM | SMALL.
POST YOUR VIDEO REPLY
- You are returned to the editing functions for your Discussion topic. After a moment, a representation of your video file appears. Don't worry that the video's thumbnail is not showing.
- In the lower right, click the button POST REPLY.
- Your video is now inserted into your Discussion Reply.
You have two other options for adding a video to a Discussion. Use the following links.
Upload a pre-existing video stored elsewhere or on your hard drive, and select it to add to your reply in a discussion assignment.
Record a video "just-in-time" to reply to a discussion topic. This method uses a Flash-based Webcam Recording Tool that does not require you to install any third-party apps.
You may also be interested in some other recording options, namely screen recording, combination screen + webcam recording, as well as voice recording. Read the following article on how to use these features: