THIS SERVICE IS FOR COMPUTER-BASED EXAMS ONLY
Online instructors decide whether or not to allow students to take their computer-based exams for online courses while at home using a remote proctor service called "ProctorU." If your instructor does not allow students to use the remote proctoring service, you will notice that the option is not available as you attempt to schedule a computer-based exam. If your course's exams involve showing your work on paper, you will not be able to use a remote proctoring service, in which case the option to select "ProctorU" should not be available.
"ProctorU" is a live online proctoring service that allows students to take an exam via a webcam, microphone, and high-speed internet connection from a secure location. You must be in a quiet room in order to take exams using this service. You must also pay a fee using a credit card in order to use "ProctorU."
A human proctor will watch a student via webcam during the exam. Proctors see both the student and the computer screen during the exam. Proctors can stop the exam and make spot checks at anytime their suspicion is peaked. The session can typically be recorded.
You must do the following at least 48 hours before the first available exam date. We recommend that you schedule earlier than 48 hours before the first available exam date.
Exam Scheduling Steps
1. Login to your Canvas course.
2. Click on the Schedule Exams link in the course navigation menu.
3. Find the exam you will be taking and select the green Choose a Proctor button
4. In the Select Session Type window, choose the Online Proctor - ProctorU option.
5. Follow the step by step instructions to schedule an exam date and time.
6. If you have "In-Area" status, you will be prompted to pay for the service. (Contact Exam Services for specific fee details 801-581-6112, Opt 3).
7. Enter your Credit or Debit Card information and confirm exam schedule.
Receiving Instructions for Taking The Exam
You will receive an email confirmation. The email will include all of the details necessary to connect you to your online proctor on the day of the scheduled exam.