WHAT IS THE KALTURA CAPTURESPACE DESKTOP RECORDER?
A set of tools from the video platform company Kaltura is integrated into the University of Utah's Canvas learning management system or can be used independently from Canvas as a standalone application on your computer.
The tool set is called the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder and offers five options:
- Presentations & Lectures
Record a presentation coming from multiple media sources.
- Screen Recording
Record an entire screen or part of a screen.
- Webcam Recording
Tell a story or personal profile through a short clip using a webcam.
- Screen & Webcam Recording
In a single shoot, record from both the screen and a webcam.
- Voice Recording
Record only your voice.
With these tools, instructors and students can create, upload, clip, manage, publish and deliver high quality video. They can post video assignments and incorporate videos into tests, announcements, blogs, discussions, and feedback.
FIRST TIME INSTALLATION OF THE KALTURA CAPTURESPACE DESKTOP RECORDER
If you have never used the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder functions before, you must first install the application. This is a one time procedure.
One of the best ways to access the Kaltura Desktop Recorder is by using your personal media collection called MY MEDIA. From a Canvas course, use the left-hand navigation features and select MY MEDIA from the various components for your course.
A window appears displaying the content items that are part of your personal collection in MY MEDIA. (The actual appearance of the options and buttons may change as the layouts are modified and updated over time. The functions and features should remain the same.)
In the upper right, select the drop down menu ADD NEW.
The Kaltura Desktop Recorder recording tools appear under the option WEBCAM & SCREEN CAPTURE:
- Select WEBCAM & SCREEN CAPTURE.
- The system realizes you have not yet downloaded the application for the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder. You are automatically presented with a window that gives you the option to download either a Windows-based or Macintosh-based version of the software.
- Select the option best for you and follow any download instructions (often the procedures are specific to your preferred web browser).
- Once installed, a pop-up window appears displaying the 5 recording options offered by the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder (sometimes, after installation, you may have to return to the ADD NEW button and re-select WEBCAM & SCREEN CAPTURE from the drop down menu in order to display the 5 options popup window).
- From the five recording options for the Desktop Recorder, select your activity of choice and follow the on-screen instructions. (We have individual articles about each of the five recording options...see the links below under the heading HOW TO USE THE DESKTOP RECORDER.)
HOW TO USE THE DESKTOP RECORDER
Several articles provide instructions on how to actually use the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder. Use the following links to information articles: