Are you ready and excited to begin a new semester? We have created a checklist for instructors to ensure you start out the semester on the right foot.
Import Course Content
- Was your previous semester’s course content amazing and finally structured the way you love? Do you want to reuse the assignments and quizzes? Next, you will want to go under the Settings tab within your course in Canvas and click the button “Import Content into this Course”.
- Now, do you want to copy the entire course over or just specific items like assignments or quizzes?
- Visit this guide on How do I import content from another Canvas Course to learn how to copy the entire course.
- Visit this guide on How do I select specific content as part of a course import to learn how to copy specific items.
Update Instructor Information
- Don’t forget to update your contact information and office hours if they have changed from the previous semester.
- Sometimes during the import, links can be lost or broken. Double check all of the links in the course work before the course is published and students begin accessing modules, sections, and documents.
- If you customized your course’s left-hand navigation using the Redirect Tool, usually these links will need to be fixed manually by re-installing them. Visit TLT’s guide “Fix Broken Left-hand navigation links”.
Plan Feedback for Student Work
- When importing a previous course into a new semester, an opportunity to more thoroughly engage students is possible. For student work, make a plan to periodically provide feedback. For example, this feedback could take form of a video that recaps the module and assignment activity based on the students’ current progress.
Instructor Personalized Video Content
- And last, consider creating or updating any personalized video content for a new semester version. For example, add a faculty introduction video.
- View a recorded workshop on "Developing your digital persona" presented by TLT.