To create a video for a Discussion in Canvas, you have three options:
- Upload a video from your computer's hard drive
Create a webcam and screen recording
Select a video from My Media
Option 1: Upload a video from your computer's hard drive
You can upload a pre-created video stored on your computer's hard drive to your My Media and then select it to add to your discussion reply. This is a great way to submit an awesome video you have already recorded from your phone. This is a popular option when you need to share, demonstrate or showcase an activity that happened in real-time.
To upload a video to your My Media, follow these instructions:
- Open your My Media by selecting My Media from the left-hand Course Navigation menu.
- Click the Add New button in the top-right of the My Media page
- Select Media Upload on the drop down menu
- After clicking Media Upload from the drop-down menu, select a video from your computer files to upload.
- Edit Media Information
- The Name field of the file is required. It will autofill with the original file name by default, but you can edit it if you'd like. The Description field and Tag field are optional.
- Select Save
- After uploading your video, open the discussion you'd like to respond to, and click the Embed Kaltura Media button. See the screen shot below. From there, yo can select the video you just uploaded to embed it in the discussion.
Option 2: Create a webcam and screen recording
You can create a webcam and screen recording on the fly using the Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder. This is a popular option when creating personal introductions and PowerPoint presentations. To learn how to use the Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder, read this help article on How to Record a Screen Capture.
Option 3: Select a video from My Media
If you already have a video in your My Media you want to submit to a discussion, you can easily embed it from Kaltura Media. To do so, open the discussion you'd like to respond to, click the Embed Kaltura Media button as depicted in the screenshot below. Then, click the Select button next to the video name you'd like to use to embed it in the discussion.
For example, this is great if you have already created an amazing introduction video and it is still in your My Media meaning you won't need to recreate one! This is a popular option for reusing personal introductions.
Once you have made the decision on how you would like to create the video, read the How to Submit Video to a Discussion guide for step-by-step instructions to embed the video.