Canvas allows you to embed pre-existing videos you've already created directly into Pages, Discussions, and Assignments. We recommend you first bring videos into your personal collection of media items in the repository called My Media. Here are the compelling reasons:
- Videos in MY MEDIA are associated with your uNID so you can access your video collection in all of your Canvas courses, not just the current one.
- You can add chapters to your videos to enable random access to different parts of the video.
- You can "publish" a video or multiple videos to a MEDIA GALLERY to allow it to be downloaded or repurposed in multiple Canvas courses.
Below are the instructions for importing any pre-existing video in Canvas using your My Media collection. At the end of this article is a link to another article that details how to move a personal file from My Media into the Media Gallery repository for a course that can be viewed by all participants (change from Private to Published).
SELECT MY MEDIA
From the left-hand navigation for your Canvas Course, click My Media to access the content found in your collection.
After a few seconds, the list of your media items appears. (The actual appearance of the options and buttons may change as the layouts are modified and updated over time. The functions and features should remain the same.)
ADD NEW MEDIA
Click the Add New button in the upper right of My Media and select the option Media Upload.
After clicking the option Media Upload, a window appears asking you to choose a file to upload.
- Click the button +Choose a file to Upload.
Your computer's hard drive contents are displayed (in whichever manner your Macintosh or Windows-based computer is set up). Navigate to your video file and choose it for upload.
- A progress bar indicates the time to upload the file you selected.
- A confirmation, "Upload Completed" is indicated
- The Name of the file is required, but should already be filled in. Alter the name if needed.
- The Description is optional.
- You may want to add a Tag that indicates the Canvas course for which you are using the uploaded video.
- Typically, leave the default setting that earmarks your uploaded video as "Private."
- Do NOT click the SAVE button.
- Instead click the text "GO TO MY MEDIA."
Give the system a few seconds to add the video file to your personal collection of media in My Media. The My Media window that lists your content appears.
Need to PUBLISH a media item from your My Media collection so it can be downloaded or repurposed by others in a Canvas course? This method of publishing uses the collection called "MEDIA GALLERY." Read the following article: