To activate Canvas courses in CIS:
1) Go to the university's Campus Information Services (CIS)
You can access CIS by going to utah.edu and clicking the icon in the bottom right or typing gate.acs.utah.edu directly into your web browser.
Note: Once your Dashboard has loaded for CIS, check you are in Faculty/Instructor Services View, NOT EMPLOYEE.
2) Find My Classes - Instructor
3) Click Expanded View
4) Select UOnline Class Activation in top-right corner
5) Select the Term and Course from the drop-down menu
6) Select Canvas
Note: Before you can activate your course, the university requires you to become certified in FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Links are provided for you to complete the online review of your instructor rights and responsibilities with regard to FERPA and protecting a student's data.
7) Click Activate
Note: Even though you have activated a course for Canvas, you must publish your Canvas course in order for students to see the class content.
- If your course does not appear under My Classes - Instructor, contact the Scheduling Office at 801-581-7854.
- If you do not see the UOnline Class Activation link, please complete your FERPA certification review provided by the Office of the Registrar.
Watch a Video Tutorial:
Download a PDF Version: