Make sure to schedule exams as soon as possible to avoid complications that could impact your students and Exam Services operations.
We require a two day minimum date range for each exam.
Set up your exams using the Schedule Exams tool in your Canvas course:
- Set up each exam for your predetermined testing period(s) as early as you can, preferably at beginning of the semester. Delays in setting up your exams may cause accessibility and timing issues for your students.
- Please complete all applicable fields in the Detail section of your Canvas quiz. (See How to set up your exam(s), below)
- The access code should be a manageable word or combination of words. (8 to 10 characters should be sufficient) Long codes with multiple variations and symbols may create delays in starting exams. Please DO NOT reveal your access code to your students nor change it during the testing period.
Proctors not listed in the Schedule Exams tool:
The use of proctors outside of the Schedule Exams tool is at the sole discretion of the course instructor and does not fall under the responsibilities or operation of Exam Services. The instructor must approve, manage and communicate with proctors not listed in the Canvas Schedule Exams tool.
How to Set Up your Exam(s) and use the Schedule Exams tool:
Below are instructions for creating Canvas exam settings required to use the Schedule Exams tool. If you do not have your exam question prepared yet, you still need to create your exam settings so you can identify your exam(s) within the Schedule Exams tool. If your Canvas exam is complete and ready to go, skip to Part 2: Using the Schedule Exams tool below.
Part 1: Adding Settings to your Canvas quiz
If you have already created and saved a Canvas quiz, or saved a quiz settings with no questions yet, skip to Part 2: Using the Schedule Exams tool below.
1. Login to your Canvas course.
2. Click Quizzes on the left side (you can create an exam in Canvas Quizzes.)
3. Click on the Red +Quiz button on the upper right side.
4. Enter an exam name near the top of the page.
5. Click Time limit box and enter minutes of exam.
6. If you do not want students to see exam responses or answers immediately after they take the exam, de-select Let students see their quiz responses.
- Click here to read a discussion containing important information about Quiz Response Setting.
7. Check Require an access code and enter code. (A simple word is recommended).
- Please create a passcode that is no longer than 7 characters.
- Do not give the access code to your students. Proctors will enter the access code for students so they can take the exam
8. Select the available date range for taking the exam by entering dates in the Available From and Available Until fields. The Due Date will auto fill from the Available until date. We require a two day minimum date range.
9. Click the Save bottom at the bottom right of the page.
- When you click Save and then Publish the quiz, students will still not have access to the exam until your "available from" date arrives. They will only see that there is an upcoming exam in the Canvas course.
Part 2: Using the Schedule Exams tool
1. Click Schedule Exams in the left hand navigation of your course.
2. Click the New Exam button.
3. Select your Canvas exam from the Import exam dropdown menu. Your exam MUST be created in Canvas before you will see it in this dropdown menu.
4. Follow all prompts to complete the setup and scheduling of your exam.
- Setting Dates: The "Exam Opens" and "Exam Closes" dates are required fields.
Note:The Scheduling Window is OPTIONAL and NOT required. if you set the scheduling window, students will not have access to the schedule prior to the open date or after the close date.
Exam Services will not provide scheduling assistance outside a set scheduling window.
5. Enter exam notes for students and proctors on the Notes page in the field provided.
All Electronic Devices are NOT approved for use in the UOnline Center. These include but are not limited to: laptop computers, E-Readers, tablets, all types of phones, smart watches, smart glasses, all bluetooth devices and any other electronic device.
6. In the Proctor Settings window, you will need to activate all proctors you choose to allow your students to select.
7. We recommend the use of ProctorU for students located outside of the Wasatch Front area who are unable to locate a potential proctor in their area and for students unable to travel or leave their residence.
8. Once you have submitted your exam, Exam Services must approve your request to ensure all your settings meet our requirements, open dates and available hours. Your students will see the schedule once your exam request is approved.