Instructors can combine students from different courses or sections into a single class in Canvas.
Note: Make sure to cross-list courses before publishing a Canvas course. Cross-listing courses will delete all submissions and grades that took place prior to cross-listing.
Courses and Sections
Canvas is organized by courses and sections. Courses contain content: PDFs, media files, pages, modules, presentations, assessments, etc. Cross-listing takes sections, which are essentially buckets of people, combines these groups of students, and connects them into a single Canvas course.
Parent and Child Course
The child course is where you establish the cross-list to the parent course of your choosing. After cross-listing the child to the parent, your designing and teaching will take place in the parent course.
- Log in to the course you choose as the child course.
- Click Settings on the bottom left side.
- Select the Sections tab.
- Under Course Sections, click on the name of the course in which you currently reside.
- Click the button Cross-List this Section on the right side (depending on the width or your web browser window, this button may instead appear at the bottom of the page).
- In the text box labeled Search for Course, begin typing the course title for the "parent course." Selection options will appear below the text box. Click on the appropriate "parent course" to choose it.
- Click Cross-List This Section.
- The parent course, not the child course, appears in the course list when selecting Courses in Canvas.
- Students taking the course you designated as the child course will see their course, not the parent course, when selecting Courses in Canvas.
- Students in all cross linked courses will appear in the parent course's grade book and roster.