Changes for Spring 2018 Awards
Each year, the funding priorities for the Learning Spaces-Student Computing Fees is adjusted in order to honor the original intent for awarding these funds (since the 1980s) and to match the most current IT and A/V technology needs and trends for teaching and learning in University settings.
The Spring 2018 Funding Priorities are similar to last year's. However, this year's awards process is accelerated in order to meet the March 15, 2018 deadline as specified by the University budgeting office. Fundamentally, the LS-SCF process is now coordinated with the overall University budgeting process and the requests made by individual colleges, libraries, and centers. This change was approved by the governance body SITC: Strategic Information Technology Committee.
The most significant change regards the following two items:
- PROJECTS NOT FUNDED BY LS-SCF:
If in the award notification to applicants some projects are only partially funded or not funded, a college/library/center has the opportunity to position that project's funding as part of the base funding request made in the University budgeting process.
In the past, unfunded projects simply remained unfunded because the opportunity to request alternative funding had passed. This year there is a funding pathway forward.
- CONTINGENCY AND GENERALIZED MAINTENANCE REQUESTS THAT CANNOT BE ITEMIZED:
Some projects or IT and A/V necessities cannot be specified by item and pricing in anticipation of unexpected or emergencies in the coming 12-18 months. Sometimes these areas are labeled as contingency funds; sometimes they are generalized maintenance requests.
For Spring 2018, funding priority is given to requests that are specific, itemized and priced. We must be accountable, transparent, and responsible for how each dollar from Student Computing Fees is allocated and spent. We must be audit-worthy.
If contingency or generalized maintenance requests are needed, they should be included in the base budget requests made by a college, library or center in the standard University budgeting process.
Spring 2018 Funding Priorities Guidelines
Below are listed the Spring 2018 LS-SCF Funding Priorities. A link to a single-page PDF of the same information is also provided.
Priority funding for projects that…
- Relate to the teaching & learning mission of the University
- Target broad impact to students and their learning
- Take advantage of centralized/ common resources
- Help departments move from non-centralized/common services towards the use of centralized resources (i.e., moving to UIT virtual servers)
- Are general access classrooms (scheduled through Ad Astra and space planning)
POSSIBLY FUND *
Department-specific or projects with less campus-wide benefit…
- Software virtualization projects (VDI)
- Department servers
- Switches & routers
- Computing devices used for creating instructional materials
- Projects for ensuring redundancy of infrastructure (e.g., failover)
- Printing ink and media
- Pulling cable and electrical to classroom or lab learning spaces
- Podium computers
- Maintenance or repair of computer lab or AV classroom facilities
- Installation labor costs
- Facilities charges
* Provide justifications for funding
* Matching funds are encouraged but not required
* All requests must be specific, itemized and priced
DO NOT REQUEST
Will not be funded…
- Salaries & wages (full-time & part-time)
- Network backbone fees
- Established enterprise software agreements (e.g., Microsoft Campus Agreement, Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Faculty computers
- Database and periodical subscriptions
- Phone and cellular contracts
- Maintenance or contingency funds that cannot be specified by item and costs (such funds should become part of your college/library/center annual University of Utah budget request, not part of LS-SCF awards)
REGARDING MAINTENANCE REQUESTS...
- Treated same as project requests
- Must be specific, itemized and priced
- Includes support contracts and warranties
- Non-itemized contingency funding should not be requested from LS-SCF, but should be part of your annual University of Utah budget requests
REGARDING THE FUNDING PROCESS...
- We send email RFP notification
- You RSVP with lead contact names
- Submit learning spaces online proposal form
- Interview with Task Force (optional)
- Deliberation by Teaching & Learning Portfolio
- Receive award notifications
GET A ONE-PAGE PDF OF THE SPRING 2018 LS-SCF FUNDING PRIORITIES...
- About the Learning Spaces-Student Computing Fees Annual Proposals & Awards
- Spring 2018 Key Dates & Deadlines
- Spring 2018 Funding Form Guidelines & Instructions
- Spring 2018 Presentation at IT Professionals 2017-11-01